I am a coeliac, for those of you who aren’t aware of Coeliac disease.
Coeliac disease is caused by a reaction of the immune system to gluten – a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. When someone with coeliac disease eats gluten, their immune system reacts by damaging the lining of the small intestine.
Up until I was diagnosed I didn’t even notice gluten as an ingredient, I could eat anything I wanted and then one day I couldn’t.
I am happily adapted to my gluten-free diet now and a lot healthier than when I was first diagnosed so I thought I would share some of my favourite GF foods for those who are newly diagnosed or cooking for a coeliac this year!
- Gluten free pretzels (Schar or Berkat): These are a great savoury snack for a buffet or a Christmas nibble.
- Marks and Spencers gluten-free chicken goujons: These are divine and work out resonably priced when purchased on the 3 for £10, they can be frozen so don’t worry if you want to stock up on them.
- Cheese: Cheese is ntaurally gluten free and one of my favourite foods. I love chedder, halloumi, mozerella, parmassan… the list goes on.
- Almondy cakes: Made with an almond base these cakes can be defrosted in 10 minutes and I must admit that the Toblerone one is a favourite of mine.
- Christmas dinner with Bisto Best gravy: I can eat a christmas dinner minus the stuffing, the only thing I need to check is the gravy, thankfully Bisto have several gluten free gravys in their Best range (do check the label first)